Lain's Log

Life goes on

July 24/12.


Still coming to grips with the loss of Auntie Ray. My nephew, writer Sean Michaels, sent me an email message the other day. It says, "I have such a strong memory of meeting her - this marvellous,
vivacious, extraordinary woman. She was a model for all our lives, I think, and this week the world has lost some colour". That is certainly true. Ray was all about colour!

Her son, Kevan and daughter-in-law, Marilyn, set up a tribute site in her memory. The last line tells her family, friends and fans to "please repaint that beige living room a vibrant, happy colour that makes your heart sing."

Go here to visit the Ray Staples tribute site.


My sister, Carrie and I were invited to come to Auntie Ray's condo to select and take home a few mementos of the gorgeous place she called home. So very many stunning treasures.

What I had in mind? The carved stacks of elephants which sat in several different spaces of the condo during her few years there. Usually, they stayed in the big front window,

so you could always immediately tell from the outside, which condo was hers. (see elephants on right of centre panel). They are gorgeous, welcoming and said to bring good luck.

I've always admired them,

where ever they were placed!

Now, they grace my own home, on either side of the leather couch (which was selected by Auntie Ray when she decorated our living room years ago). My cousin, Kevan, surprised me by delivering both elephant structures to the door and placing them in exactly the right spots! Thank you so much.

I will always think of my incredible Aunt when I look at these majestic elephants.

I also inherited three jade wine glasses, which originally came from my grandparents' antique shop, Century House north of Lindsay. They owned them, passed them to my Mum. When she died, they went to Ray, and now, I have them.

After all the drama surrounding the loss of Auntie Ray, I took my friend, Joanne (visiting from L.A.), shopping. We discovered an apparently new and improved Justin Bieber hanging out at the cosmetics counter at Shoppers Drug Mart again.

He's changed a lot since his last trip to buy cologne!

Then, we took off for St. Lawrence Market to get some goodies.
Joanne always likes to pay at least one visit there on every jaunt to T.O.

I hit up the seafood section and bought some fresh scallops.

We looked at the shortbread cookies, (but didn't buy any),

and checked out the truffles, (but resisted the temptation),

Joanne even eyed her favourite butter tarts, but used willpower to stop from making any purchases! (we'll see if she makes it all week without buying one!)

We can go back for more delectables next week, OK?

Meanwhile,

2012 trip to McCrae Lake & Lake Vernon from Carrie Loring on Vimeo.

my sister, Carrie and her boyfriend, Paul, had quite an adventure on their latest canoe trip. During the very first day, their gorgeous campsite was hit by a massive hungry bear! It was a very scary ordeal, but they managed to escape with their lives (but not their food! The bear enjoyed every morsel! - and drank their wine too! Hic!) Check out Carrie's fabulous video of their star-crossed holiday. Wait for it to load before watching so you can see it all! They will never again complain about mosquitoes or black flies!


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home