Lain's Log

Don't Stop This Train!

November 27/11.

Everyone's had days where you want to say, "Stop this train." - Or at least, damn well slow it DOWN a little bit. Don't let it speed so outta conTROL! - (thank you Reege), or, perhaps, on the other hand, just let it all crash & burn. At different phases in my life, I've passionately wished for BOTH. (mostly in the last wildy convoluted, crazed year of pain).

Have been obsessed for quite a long time, with John Mayer's phenomenal song, Stop This Train. (Maybe the greatest song of the decade). This video version, in particular. Wow. Just wow.



Seriously. You will NEVER, EVER see better video production/direction, not to mention, better song, lyrics or pure performance, than this. (Only my opinion). Absolute perfection. And the words "stop this train" mean something different to everyone. My favourite verse is when John sings about his Dad.

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game to find a way to say that life has just begun
Had a talk with my old man
Said help me understand
He said turn 68, you'll renegotiate!
Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
Don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train.

Thought a lot about this song, when my sister,

Carrie & I went to see our Dad this afternoon to wish him a happy 86th birthday at his favourite Oakville pub, The Coach and Four. HE'S still chugging along the track. SO happy about that. But the train unexpectedly hit a wall and stopped altogether for our Mum, on October 19th, 2010.
Haven't recovered from that loss. - But Dad? Don't EVER let it stop!


"Stop this train - I want to get off and go home again,
I can't take the speed it's moving in,
I know I can't,
But honestly won't someone stop this train"

(Sadly, we know, the train has to stop sometime. For EVERYBODY. - But could you just keep it going for ALL of us, a while longer?)
Cheers Dad!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2011 at 11:21 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Rex will do the right thing and invite his daughters and their families over for Christmas dinner this year. Now that the girls have lost their mother, I can only hope that Rex steps up and becomes a real father. Now is the time Rex.

 
At November 30, 2011 at 9:11 p.m. , Anonymous Elaine Loring said...

Not sure who wrote this, since it's anonymous, but please rest assured, our Dad HAS stepped up to the plate, BIG time, to try to help fill the void left by the loss of our Mum, whom he loved. He attended her Celebration of Life, just to be there for US, though their breakup was decades before. As for Christmas dinner, Dad will be on a fabulous Christmas/New Years cruise with a friend, enjoying SUNSHINE on December 25th, (while we freeze)! Carrie & I love him very much and are so happy he is healthy, strong and energized enough to make this kind of trek! He's an inspiration in many ways. Always in good spirits and cares deeply for us, which means a lot, especially now! Thanks for your sweet message, (whomever you may be), and all the best to you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home