Lain's Log

Back from Burton!

September 30/11.


The Burton Cummings concert at Massey Hall was simply spectacular!


For a fanatic like me, it was everything you could ever want and much more.


I didn't realize the severe Burton withdrawal I've been languishing in and how badly I needed a heavy-duty fix! (uh-oh, now I think I'm caught in serious Cummings-addiction again!) He pulled out all the stops. At 63, his voice has never sounded better. He played keyboards - (duh), guitar, harmonica and flute (for Undun, of course!)


Two-and-a-half hours of all-Burton, all-the-time. You name it, he sang it, plus some fun additions, including a version of Mac the Knife (as good as Bobby Darin ever did it), Louie Louie, and a last-minute, short 'n sweet encore of Jiminy Cricket's


When You Wish Upon a Star. ("Nice one Burton! Thanks for the tribute! Signed, your pal, Jiminy!")

Last year, Burton was named an officer of the Order of Canada by then Governor General Michaelle Jean in Ottawa. He was teary-eyed about it!

On Saturday, he'll become the first person in Canadian history to be inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame for the SECOND time! (once as a member of The Guess Who, and now, for his solo work). In MY opinion, he SOOOO deserves it!!) The induction will take place at the Elgin Theatre. I want to GO there on Saturday night and hang out to watch! - (yep, I know, still a teenager at heart!! - I think Burton is TOO!)

SEVERAL times, during his concert, Burton stressed, "I DON'T take these things for granted! I NEVER thought I'd be one of the LUCKY ones, who at 63, in relatively good health, would STILL be up here on stage, with audiences like THIS! If EVERYONE had audiences like YOU, there would NEVER be a bad show!!" (he made us ALL feel SO great!)

While waiting for Burton's show to begin, I was going f-ing CRAZY. I just have NO patience - at ALL! - (After breast cancer, can't seem to wait for ANYTHING anymore!! Time's a wastin')!! DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO NOW....BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I haven't been THIS excited about a live show since Robin Williams' Weapons of Self Destruction Tour in 2008 (also at Massey Hall). And THEN guess what happened? Shortly after seeing Robin's show, he had to undergo heart surgery!


Was ready hours early for the Burton concert, and finally broke out the pink shoes for the occasion. LOL.

After the show, Sam bought me a Burton t-shirt outside Massey Hall for $10!

He asked if I wanted one and I was surprised to actually hear myself say, "Yes!"
(Good grief. Yep, Burton has me under his spell all over again - Might as well show it off with the kick-ass Marilyn Monroe shoes too! What the hell, right?)

A couple of quick notes about the concert. I only cried ONCE during the entire show - and wouldn't you know, it was during the song, "Laughing!" Ha ha! Hilarious. Why? A combo of reasons. The song was released when I was 14. I was nuts about it back then. To re-live him doing it over again, 40 years later, so perfectly, and to hear those moving lyrics, well, gak, just lost it.

Remember?

I should laugh, but I cry,
Because your love has passed me by.
You took me by surprise;
You didn't realize
That I was waiting.

Time goes slowly, but carries on.
And now the best years have come and gone.
You took me by surprise,
I didn't realize
That you were laughing.

Burton talked very briefly about his current hit & miss relationship with Randy Bachman these days,


but sang Randy's praises for the many great hits he wrote and how fortunate he's been to have had the opportunity to perform them. What a team they were!

As for Burton's dearly departed dog, Toast, don't get me started.

Burton was wearing a black t-shirt emblazoned with this pic of Toast. At one point, he opened his jacket, revealed the photo of Toast, told the story of his death and the pain he's been through and then, dedicated "Timeless Love" to his beloved dog. For the first time, I understood the lyrics, "It feels good even missing you." Burton told us, "Where ever Toast is now, I believe he thought this was a great show!"

After that, Burton declared, "Hey! This is not a eulogy! It's time to rock!" From that moment on, the show was flat-out rock 'n roll with no time for tears. He told us, "Thanks to YOU, this is the BEST I've felt since Sunday." (the night Toast passed away).

Back AT you Burton! Tonight was the best I'VE felt in a long time too!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home