Lain's Log

Newsflash!

June 26/11

As Charlie Sheen used to say, "WINNING!!"
Just found out some cool news. Have been watching the results from the annual RTNDA awards (Radio-Television News Directors Association of Canada) in Halifax. FYI - after 49 years, the name is soon to be changed to RTDNA, (Radio-Television Digital News Association - The Association of Electronic Journalists).

Two old friends of mine have been honoured. I'm thrilled for both of them!

John Hinnen, Vice President and General Manager at 680 News, received the President's Award. John was one of my first radio bosses back in the CFTR days. He was actually in charge of sports when I started at 'TR, but later, became news director, and eventually, just took over the place! Hearing his name brings back so many fond memories of working in radio. Congratulations John! 680 rules! (well, when I'm not listening to NEWSTALK 1010!)

And speaking of NEWSTALK 1010, a special friend, Dave Agar, won the Byron MacGregor award (LARGE Market) for the 6 o'clock news - (LIVE at the G20)! This is his third national win. I first met Dave when I was 19, working at CFRB as a Good News reporter. What a fantastic summer that was, and it launched my life in radio and TV for the next 25 years. I was well aware even back then that Dave was the best in the biz, and glad everybody else thinks so too. (If by any chance you happen to see this Dave, heartfelt congrats! The buzz was in the air and I KNEW you'd win!) You SO deserve it. Hope your colleagues sing your praises on Monday!

As Dennis Miller always said on SNL's Update, "That is the news and I AM OUTTA HERE!"

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home